Re: "Breaking Cliques at Events"

Hi!

On Wednesday 13 December 2017 11:54:52 CET Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> On Tue 2017-12-12 11:18:13 -0700, Bdale Garbee wrote:
> > I know it drove some people crazy, but this is why I really *liked*
> > the old model in which we did keysigning by getting in a big loop and
> > actually making contact with everyone else at the event, even if
> > briefly.  For anyone I'd met and signed keys with before, it was a
> > chance to have a moment of re-connection.  For anyone new to me, it
> > was a chance to say hello and trade at least one piece of personal
> > information.
>
> I think my experience of the big loop model of keysigning was the exact
> opposite of yours, Bdale :)

I personally agree with Daniel here

> That is, in the big loop, i get basically ~30 seconds for a face and a
> name and some novel form of (maybe) gov't-issued identification before i
> feel pressure to move on to the next person to avoid holding up the
> queue.
>
> I'm bad at names-and-faces already, and this does *not* facilitate a
> good connection for me.  And it's exhausting.
>
> otoh, the keysignings i've been in more recently, where we're broken
> into a arbitrary small groups (potentially in two different breakout
> patterns to increase the density of the cross-signings), the small
> groups are really good opportunities to get to know people.

Indeed I have very positive memories on that part! (although it wasn't the
thing I was first thinking of) -- mostly Portland experience Heidelberg was
huge and I haven't made it to DeConf since then.

Also I remember some experienced long-term project members using the
keysigning list as an excuse to start conversation with random other
participants outside the main meeting. Might have been Gunnar with whom I had
a short and nice talk (we don't normally interact as part of our Debian
duties) before he left for some other random people.

I also remember I -- as a fresh member -- had my first (and only?) conversation
with Bdale back in Caceres due to some spontaneous small group keysigning in
the Entrance hall.

I think the one thing that somehow makes keysining less useful in this
contexst is the rather complex topic of key signing policies where it's quite
unclear who on the list can actually be approached with a "hey will you sign
my key? And btw you're release@ right?"

  Christoph