Re: [Debconf-discuss] Borrowing a Mobile Phone for DebCamp/Conf

Denver Gingerich <denver@ossguy.com> writes:

> On Sun, Jul 30, 2017 at 11:24:35PM +0200, Philip Hands wrote:
>> It seems that none of the 3 mobiles that I have with me are willing to
>> play in Canada for one reason or another, so I could do with borrowing
>> one.
>
> I'm curious if any of these 3 mobile phones have quad-band GSM
> support.  If so, then those would work fine in Canada.  It's pretty
> rare for a phone built in the past 5 years or so to not have quad-band
> GSM, though it's possible some parts of the world still don't have a
> lot of them.

In the absence of any information, I might have made the same
assumption, but given that I said that they don't work, it seems a bit
odd to do so.

The "various reasons" are pretty dull really, but since you insist:

  1) The phone I had intended to use is a recently bought, brand new
  Nokia 105 Dual-SIM (RM-1133) -- which is dual-band, and therefore
  doesn't work.  It has been such a long time since I saw a non-quad
  band phone that it didn't even occur to me to check.

  2) I have two Nokia n900's.  One of them has a dodgy aerial that
  causes it to be unable to stay on the network for more than a few
  minutes.  I of course had intended to bring the other one, but somehow
  at the point of leaving the house I grabbed the wrong one.  Two down,
  one to go.

  3) I have an HTC Desire that I inherited from a friend that I use
  exclusively for listening to Internet Radio and podcasts via wifi.
  He's pretty sure it was unlocked when he gave it to me.  It was
  misbehaving in various ways though, so I flashed it using the vendors
  ROM, and then put Cyanogenmod onto it.  Somewhere along the way (or
  perhaps from the start) it seems that it has acquired a network lock.

So, as I said, none of the 3 mobiles that I have with me are willing to
play in Canada for one reason or another.

Cheers, Phil.