Re: [Debconf-discuss] hardware which runs Debian or a blend or a sub-set, debian blends, gaming on open day/week-end.

On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 3:02 PM, shirish शिरीष wrote:

> There is also the short-lived debian-mobile mailing list
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-mobile/ after which <speculate>I think
> a decision was made to put more efforts on getting android bits in
> Debian main, probably because most upstream may not be active.
> </speculate>

Debian doesn't support mobile devices because Linux mainline doesn't
support them and probably never will until the mobile device upgrade
cycle starts slowing down. Android bits in main won't fix that, but it
will eventually allow us to build Android apps on our laptops and
potentially run Android apps on our Debian laptops.

https://wiki.debian.org/AndroidTools

> Incidentally, I'm planning to buy a new phone (around $100 - $125)
> budget, so any recommendations to look at which is/could be ported to
> Debian would be good to know. @Jonas - recommendations ?

Due to various factors, making a phone support Debian properly will
require more time than it takes that phone to become obsolete. Of
course you can easily get any Android phone that is GPL compliant to
run some parts of Debian in a very hacky way.

https://wiki.debian.org/ChrootOnAndroid
http://bonedaddy.net/pabs3/log/2012/12/03/debian-mobile/
https://cascardo.eti.br/blog/GNU_on_Smartphones_part_II/
https://wiki.debian.org/Mobile