Re: [Debconf-discuss] hardware which runs Debian or a blend or a sub-set, debian blends, gaming on open day/week-end.

Quoting Bernelle Verster (2016-06-02 09:17:56)
> On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 9:02 AM, shirish शिरीष <shirishag75@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> The expert in this area would obviously be Jonas as he has been
>> working with embedded and is in know of much, much more and he would
>> be probably more aware of which devices can have debian in a jiffy
>> and which would require lot more work.

No, the Debian experts on embedded stuff are the emdebian folks!

> Jonas is also a purist, which is great, but I think in this context
> and with the time limit, we need to look at what is agreeable without
> being too ideological. Have a look at the ShowMeBox stuff, Jonas and
> others did a lot of work there. Unfortunately the ShowMeBox as it is
> currently envisaged may not make it to DebConf16, but this idea may
> incorporate some of it.
> https://wiki.debian.org/ShowMeBox

Thanks - I consider "purist" as a compliment. :-)

You will sure need to be pragmatic to get things working fast.  But you
will also need to be realistic.

My biggest concern with the things mentioned by Shirish is not how
challenging those devices are to tinker with using purely Debian, but
how challenging they are to tinker with _at_ _all_.

 - Jonas

P.S.  Incidentally, I will attend a haccker session this weekend with
the GTA04 developers - i.e. the successor to OpenMoko.  No, that doesn't
make me an expert on that device: I offer help _packaging_ the code for
the device.