Re: [Debconf-discuss] [Debconf-announce] This year's Cheese & Wine party

Hi all,

As a potential attendee, I had talked with Gunnar (off-list) on the
possibility of Indian cooking. I had also involved Bernelle as I
thought s/he would probably know about sourcing Indian spices but as
most Indians live in Durban it seems it would be difficult to source
those spices. Cape town to Durban is 1646 km which is quite a bit.

Thankful to Nicholas for sharing list of what could be imported into
South Africa

http://www.nda.agric.za/vetweb/ImportExport/Application%20forms/Application%20to%20import%20dairy%20products.doc

But that doesn't tell if airlines allow spices to be carried in
(probably not for security purposes, at least logic dictates/tells
that but could somebody clarify it ? )

Basic spices and ingredients that are part/soul of most vegetarian food :-

rai or mustard seeds, zeera or cumin seeds. spices such as black
pepper, turmeric, red chilli powder (kashmiri chilli) - sharing a
brand below
http://www.bigbasket.com/pd/269285/everest-powder-kashmirilal-ground-chilly-100-gm-carton/
, iodized salt and lastly garam masala which is combination of many
spices but is separate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garam_masala

My queries are the following :-

1. Are spices prohibited/can airlines confiscate them ( most are in
powder form) ?
2. Most of the cooking I have done is on kadai which are quite common here :-

http://www.bigbasket.com/pd/40041655/meet-hard-anodized-kadai-with-lid-black-hdkl-14-1-pc/

Is something similar available in SA ?

3. Perhaps the most important of all - how big are these wine and
cheese parties, I have cooked for 4-5 people at the most, there were
couple of times where I did cooking for 100 odd people but I had
amazing help and they were able to get the scale of spices from 4-5
people to 100 (not my forte)

4. Lastly, most of the cooking I have done is on gas which I don't
know would be available or not.

Look forward to know about above.

--
          Regards,