[Debconf-discuss] This year's Cheese & Wine party

Greetings, turophiles!

As DebConf draws nearer, so again is the annual Cheese & Wine party soon upon
us.  Just as every year, we look forward to feasting on caseified comestibles
and supping on the fruit of the vine.  However, dread bureaucracy has thrown a
slight spanner into the works: it's incredibly difficult from a legal
standpoint to import cheese into South Africa [0].

[0] http://www.nda.agric.za/vetweb/ImportExport/Application%20forms/Application%20to%20import%20dairy%20products.doc

We've thought of a few workarounds for this. There exist shops which import
cheese [1], as well as various local artisanal cheesemakers [2].  Blessed are
the cheesemakers, for grate things will happen to them.

[1] http://www.lacotte.co.za/cheese/all_cheese.php, among others
[2] http://www.eatout.co.za/article/15-south-african-cheeses-everyone-should-try/

If you're still keen to bring something to the Cheese & Wine party, perhaps
consider bringing non-perishable things which go with cheese.  The import of
animal and vegetable products is restricted (see above), which does pretty much
rule out fresh food.  There is a certain allowance for either wine or spirits [3].

[3] https://south-africa.visahq.com/customs/

All in all, and true to our diversity statement [4], if it's edible, or
drinkable, and you feel comfortable importing it into South Africa, it will be
welcome at the Cheese & Wine party.  Please coordinate your imports through the
wiki page [5].  Fear not, if you're unable to bring your local goodness to
DebConf, make yourselves known, and with your participation, the cheese team
will make sure to arrange for cheesy and whiny stuff locally during the
conference.  There's no doubt we will all make it another great party!

[4] https://www.debian.org/intro/diversity
[5] https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf16/CheeseWineBoF

Gooey greetings,
Your cheese master, Nicolas Dandrimont (TINCC)