Re: [Debconf-discuss] Installing Debian on a macbook pro 5,1

On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 10:00:38AM +0200, Christian Kastner wrote:
> On 2015-08-17 18:14, Eder L. Marques wrote:
> > My first question is:
> > - Is rEFIt or rEFInd still necessary?
>
> No, it isn't. Booting grub from the EFI system partition works just fine
> here, however, you might need to use the "bless" utility within OSX to
> get grub to boot by default. (The latter could be obsolete information.)
>
> [Side note: I only keep OSX around so that I can get firmware updates,
> but ironically, so far, they have broken more stuff than they fixed]

Nothing changed, then.

In 2004, I got myself a PowerBook; OSX updates broke yaboot more than
once. Apparently, apple hasn't changed in that regard...

My recommendation would be to throw out OSX if you're going to use
Debian. You could run OSX in a VM (that's legal, as long as the host
hardware is made by apple) if you don't want to part with it.

--
It is easy to love a country that is famous for chocolate and beer

  -- Barack Obama, speaking in Brussels, Belgium, 2014-03-26