Re: [Debconf-discuss] "Do not photograph" checkbox in registration

On 10 September 2014 22:50, Frank Lin PIAT <fpiat@klabs.be> wrote:
> All proposed solution looks like a division by zero error.

There are conflicting requirements - covering Debconf (either with
photo or video) requires a lot of images of people while privacy
concerns require not to take images of people.

> So the only option seems to use a "white list" of people would are happy
> to have their picture published. There was 300 attendes and many
> thousands pictures (taken by Aigars and every other attendees).

Even a blacklist is practically impossible to realize while
maintaining even just a good coverage of the event. Whitelisting?
Forget about all photo coverage and just have video of just the
slides. Anything else will be practically impossible.

> There is one thing that make me uncomfortable: Some pictures of $me, and
> all the "privacy conscious DebConf attendees" are published on some
> website which license states "you grant us a [..] transferable,
> sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use.." another
> license states "...worldwide [..] license to reproduce, adapt, modify,
> translate, publish" (thanks to Luke Faraone for pointing that[1]).
>
> Would it be possible to proscribe all service which aren't under a
> license like "don't copy, don't modify, except for your personal use,
> unless you obtain permission from the people on the picture ?"
>
> The good old "gallery.debconf.org" had no license, so "don't copy, don't
> modify, don't published" applied there.

Me and most other photographers at Debconf that I know of distributed
the photos under DFSG-free licences like either of GPLv2+ or MIT or
CC-BY or a combination of them. All of those grant exactly the same
rights to everyone that you quoted above from the supposedly evil
website, whether it is uploaded to the (unusable) gallery.debconf.org
or to any other service. Having any photos licensed like you propose
will make them unredistributable and absolutely pointless. Viewing a
photo from a website in your browser is copying, in case you were not
aware of that. And creating a smaller version of a photo (like gallery
software does either on upload or on demand) is modification.

I would have assumed that you were joking in your suggestions, but it
was quite long and without any smilies, so I thought a serious answer
was warranted, just in case.

--
Best regards,
    Aigars Mahinovs        mailto:aigarius@debian.org