Re: [Debconf-discuss] [Debconf-announce] DebConf event sign-ups: Cheese & Wine, Day Trip

On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 04:53:27PM -0400, Brian Gupta wrote:

> Patty,

> For those of us that aren't hiking experts, would this hike [1] be a reasonable
> alternative considering time available? (My thought is just keep an eye on
> the time, and head back at the half way mark even if we don't make it to the
> viewpoint. (We'd plan to take the bus both ways with the extreme hikers.)

> It starts at the same point, but is about half the distance. (2.6 miles round-
> trip vs a 4.9 mile loop.)

The hike you are referencing is not the hike that is planned for that
DayTrip option. In an effort to find compromise between safety and
enjoyability, we've coordinated a hike to be led by people who know the
proposed trail[2] very well.  While your proposal[1] is part of the actual
trail, there will be no group leaders to aid you with returning to the
front, and you would be, more or less, stranded until the group descends
from the other side of the loop.

If there is a different hike you want to do, I would recommend going outside
of the daytrip or coordinating your own transportation to the gorge to
ensure you can view everything you wish to view while there.

I, frankly, don't consider any alternatives to the led hike to be reasonable
*because* that's not what has been determined for the group at large and due
to the nature of the planning, seats are limited for this adventure. I am
also not leading the hike, so you would have to convince Steve and our
friends who have graciously agreed to lead the hike to allow you to deviate
from their planned route and take up spaces from others who would like to do
the full hike.

Again, if, going into the DayTrip, you are already expecting that you will
not be able to participate in the full hike, I *HIGHLY RECOMMEND* that you
join the bus tour, which will still bring everyone to Multnomah Falls, and
still give everyone the chance to climb to the bridge halfway up the falls,
and still give everyone plenty of time at Rooster Rock State Park for
further outdoor recreation.

The hike will be fabulous, but is probably not as family friendly
(especially for little ones) as the bus tour will be.

> P.S. - Why are hats required for hike? (As per wiki)

Hats are required because the sun causes burns on heads and necks that can
translate into skin issues as well as increase the potential for heat
exhaustion and/or heat stroke. Some people find they can handle hikes
without hats just fine, especially in areas that are heavily shaded.

For the record, water is not negotiable. EVERYONE NEEDS TO BRING AT LEAST
ONE LITER OF WATER FOR THIS HIKE.

> [1] - http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org/wiki/Multnomah_Falls_Hike

[2] http://nwhiker.com/CGNSAHike12.html

Patty Langasek
harmoney@dodds.net

At times, you may end up far away from home; you may not be
sure of where you belong, anymore. But home is always
there... because home is not a place. It's wherever your
passion takes you.
                                --- J. Michael Straczynski