Re: [Debconf-discuss] [Debconf-announce] DebConf event sign-ups: Cheese & Wine, Day Trip

Resending with dc-announce removed. (Please reply-all to this email
instead of the last, or remove dc-announce.)

On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 12:08 AM, Patty Langasek <harmoney@dodds.net> wrote:
> On a note for the DayTrip Hike:
>
> On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 11:16:18PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
>> = Day Trip =
>
>> The deadline for sign-up for this Day Trip is Thursday, August 21.
>> Similar to last year, one of the options for the day trip is a hike.  Space
>> is limited for this organized hike; if you would like to go on the hike,
>> then *in addition to* saying yes to the day trip on your registration page,
>> you must also add yourself to the sign-up sheet in the wiki page.
>
>>     https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf14/DayTrip/Hike
>
>> Sign-up for the hike is first-come, first-serve, so if you want to attend,
>> save your seat now.
>
> The Hike is expected to be an intense hike. It's described by people who
> hike regularly as "moderately difficult", 3 hour, 7.7km hike with a rise of
> 470m.  It is recommended for hikes of this length and intensity to have at
> least a liter of water with you, so please be sure you're prepared.  This
> hike will also require hiking shoes.
>
> If you are not an avid and consistent hiker, you may want to consider the
> bus tour through the gorge instead.  The bus tour groups will still get free
> play-time at Rooster Rock State Park, where there is potential for swimming
> and playing and frisbee and other "bright yellow burning thing in the sky"
> activities.
>
> Please note, this is not a hike I would personally attempt in the given
> time-frame. I would personally label this hike as "difficult" and eye the
> people labeling it as "moderately difficult" askance.
>
> I earnestly don't think people have been warned about this enough. :)
> Patty

Patty,

For those of us that aren't hiking experts, would this hike [1] be a reasonable
alternative considering time available? (My thought is just keep an eye on
the time, and head back at the half way mark even if we don't make it to the
viewpoint. (We'd plan to take the bus both ways with the extreme hikers.)

It starts at the same point, but is about half the distance. (2.6 miles round-
trip vs a 4.9 mile loop.)

Thanks,
Brian

P.S. - Why are hats required for hike? (As per wiki)

[1] - http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org/wiki/Multnomah_Falls_Hike