Re: [Debconf-discuss] git-buildpackage with upstream using git, too

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 11:52:03PM +0200, Giovanni Mascellani wrote:
> Il 13/08/2013 22:23, Gaudenz Steinlin ha scritto:
> > I don't know if this is the right session to put this into. But I would
> > be interested in a git-buildpackage session around non tarball centered
> > usages. So things like doing packageing in a branch of the upstream
> > repository and still using the official tarballs as a base for the
> > package.
>
> I'm not completely sure I understand what you're meaning,

I do. I ran into this problem several times already.

> My idea is to keep a tutorial based on things and work flows that
> are already widely used, not propose new ways to go.

There is an "official" work flow for this, but it's not yet widely
used, maybe because it's not too obvious.

I've used it only once so far and are not really used to it yet and
can't reproduce it by mind.

As far as I understood it, it works as follows:

* You add upstream's git repo as a remote.
* When importing a new upstream tar ball (yes, you still have to do
  that), you can pass the according upstream commit/tag as an option
  to git-import-orig and it will make that commit an additional merge
  parent, but without actually using code from that commit/branch --
  just as a pointer. (So either I didn't get it right or it's really
  that unintuitive.)

		Kind regards, Axel
\ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and News            | abe@deuxchevaux.org  (Mail)
 X   See http://www.asciiribbon.org/              | abe@noone.org (Mail+Jabber)