Re: [Debconf-discuss] Information about accommodation at le camp (photos and plans) ·

On 26/11/12 18:44, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> tl;dr: not all LeCamp beds are like those shown by Ana.

>>> Do you think it is possible doing it without touching the people who is
>>> sleeping next to you?
>>>
>> I think this is going to be a problem for many people (myself included).
>> It's not that I'm trying to be full of problems or that I don't
>> necessarily trust other debconf attendees, but I just don't feel
>> comfortable not having my own space and space to store my things. When I
>> first saw the pictures of the sleeping places in the proposal at the
>> last Debconf I was kind of surprised by it. It means that I'll probably
>> have to find external accomodation and might end up being a slight
>> barrier for me to come to debconf.
>>
> I understand (and can share part of) your concerns. Yet, as mentionned (on -
> team probably, sorry for that), Buildings 4 and 5 provide the most rustic
> accomodation. Other buildings such as Passerelle [0] provide a ladder to
> access the upper beds and lockers for your stuff.
>
> In my eyes, the standard LeCamp accomodation is similar to international youth
> hostels; some rooms are better and some are bigger + worse.

There is a thread on debconf-team "Bad bed comparison" that goes over
some of this

Here is the bottom line:

20% of beds are like this worst case scenario, mattresses side by side,
touching each other.  Many people (myself included) will refuse
outright.  My own suggestion previously was that we commit at the outset
not to fill those rooms, just remove every 3rd mattress and spread the
others with spaces between them.  Local team has not agreed to this
principal and seems to be keeping open the option of filling these rooms
to capacity.

4 beds are available in single room (does that include ensuite/private
bathroom though?)

40 people can sleep in `twin' rooms (e.g. 2 people per room) - about 15%
of people basically.  Local team intends to keep these for people who
pay professional fee.

- Everybody else seems to get something in between those two cases.

- Usage of the worst case beds would only happen if there is 300 people
on site - but as Switzerland is so convenient in the centre of Europe,
many people can drive there, it is really possible that 300 people will
want to come

- Overall, all the accommodation appears to be completely useless for
anybody who travels to Europe with their partner and wants a double bed
+ ensuite