Re: [Debconf-discuss] pictures and privacy

On Sat, Aug 06 2011, martin f krafft wrote:

> also sprach Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> [2011.08.06.1113 +0200]:
>> Personally, I love taking pictures of people without their
>> knowledge.
>
> Personally, I dislike having my picture taken without my knowledge.
>
> As said before, this reverses responsibility. It is *your*
> responsibility to ensure that whatever you do does not interfere
> with the privacy, intimacy, and freedom of others. An argument like
> "I've tried, but I have bad memory and thus …" is just a cop-out.

        I think another aspect to consider is expectation of privacy. I
 tend to believe that there is little expectation of privacy in public
 spaces; and thus railing against loss ofprivacy in a public space is a
 lost cause.

        I also consider it amusing that you work so hard to disabuse
 people of expectation of trust (say, at a key signing between friends),
 and yet are so upset at someone similarly not adhering to an equally
 untenable expectation of privacy. Exhortations to decency could be
 applied to both situations.

        Can't have it both ways.

        manoj
--
Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important stuff
on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it ;) -- Linus Torvalds,