Re: [Debconf-discuss] pictures and privacy (was: my pictures so far (including the bicyle tour))

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 03:40:06PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> I really would have wished that people had been much more
> considerate about uploading other people's pictures to the public
> Web.
>
> I for one do not want my pictures on the Internet.
> I also realise that this is a fight against windmills and am rather
> sad about that.

I understand that sentiment, but it is indeed very difficult to do.

Personally, I love taking pictures of people without their knowledge.
Not because I like embarrasing people, but because in my opinion,
portraits that are made without the subject's knowledge usually turn out
for the best. I have a 300mm lens that allows me to take a close-up
picture far enough away from the subject that you wouldn't be aware of
it unless you just happen to be looking in my general direction (and
then still), and which I have used at debconf.

I also don't try to remember who likes to have their picture taken and
who doesn't. I have tried doing so in the past, but first I'm terrible
at remembering such things, and second trying to remember whether this
particular person likes it or not interferes with creativity to the
point of me not being able to take any good pictures anymore, even of
people who I know don't mind.

That doesn't mean I don't understand your sentiment, however, and I do
try to accomodate as much as possible:

- If you ever, at any time, see me pointing a lens at you, do not
  hesitate to ask me to see the picture. If you really, really, /really/
  do not like it, I'll remove it from my camera, even if I think it's
  one of the best pictures I've ever taken (though in that case, I might
  try to reason with you first :-)
- If you ever, at any time, see me taking pictures of people at random,
  do not hesitate to ask me whether I've taken any of you, and if so, do
  the above.
- If you see a picture of you, taken by me, on some website somewhere,
  and you'd rather it wasn't available, just tell me and I'll take it
  down.
- At any rate, while I do tag pictures of people with the names of the
  people featured on that picture _in my private digiKam database_, I
  will never tag said pictures on a public website with the names of
  people.

I think doing this keeps some sort of middle ground between accomodating
people who do not want their pictures taken or published, and
accomodating photographers who don't want to spend five minutes checking
a website before being allowed to take a picture.

the following formula:

pi zz a