Re: [Debconf-discuss] Zagreb <--> Banja Luka

On Fri, 2011-05-06 at 11:16 +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> On Fri, May 06, 2011 at 10:50:48AM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> >
> >One alternative option I'm considering is to fly to Ljubljana and hire a
> >car to drive to Banja Luka since from Cambridge I can easily get to
> >Stansted from where I can get a cheapish easyjet flight to LBJ, compared
> >with a ~2 hour drive to Heathrow for a more expensive flight to Zagreb
> >the overall cost works out around the same ballpark and the total travel
> >time seems to be roughly the same too.
> >
> >Perhaps the practicalities of taking a hire car across multiple borders
> >will make this plan infeasible (plus it looks like TomTom only has
> >partial coverage in the region). Does anyone local have any advice on
> >this?
>
> Well, we're driving all the way from the UK - see
>
>   http://wiki.earth.li/DebconfTravel2011/Roadtrip

I saw that plan, unfortunately I need to come home early to be back for
a flight to Turkey on the Monday or I'd have asked to get in on the road
trip with you guys.

> Insurance for people driving into Bosnia is apparently *interesting* -
> most UK insurers just don't do it, for example...

I figured it would be even worse when hiring a car but the according to
my employer's travel bureau both Hertz and Avis are happy to rent a car
in Ljubljana to drive to Banja Luka, although apparently no one else is.

Ian.
--
Ian Campbell
Current Noise: Napalm Death - Passive Tense

Everyone hates me because I'm paranoid.