Re: [Debconf-discuss] [Debconf-team] dysfunctional team, how to proceed (Re: Is arriving Friday 22nd ok?)

[ Replying after reading Holger's handover of posting responsability
  ;-) ]

Adnan Hodzic dijo [Mon, May 02, 2011 at 05:27:23PM +0200]:
> > learn to read and/or english and/or logic. You said we have to do this. I said
> > thats bullshit, but we probably could still do it.
>
> Of course you could, because in the end I'll end up being the one:
> "you are doing what you want".

When we start bulshitting each other we stop reading each other's
argument.

So, Holger, it's hard to be calm but you should do it. Yes, again
speaking from the DC6 experience: It's very easy for Adnan to feel
hurt by a seemingly innocent comment. He is putting quite probably
full-time commitment for some time already, and won't be able to do
much besides DebConf organizing from now until August. It can be
pretty exhausting. So, if we detect communication failures, avoid
making them bigger.

> (...)
> > > Do whatever you want, I'm out of this topic.
> >
> > you summarized nicely how I see this years DebConf "team": dysfunctional. one
> > important detail I see differently though: you are doing what you want,
> > whatever we discuss on the list or in irc meetings, doesnt seem to be in your
> > focus. it is impossible to work together like this.
>
> Our team is summarized by our work and our deeds, which talk for themselves.

We cannot risk arriving at the point where the local team "gets out of
this topic" and acts on themselves. We have friction? We must work on
it. Because it's quite easy for _them_ to push _us_ out of orga. And
that would be a disaster - I don't think it's far-fetched to say it
could signal the end of DebConf as we know it. Don't walk that way.

> The reason I said what I said above is, because option of having
> people arrive early would be feasible from financial aspect, this
> topic has been around for months now, what seems to make it unfeasible
> is the work that it would be required from the team. That is
> disapproval from "global-team", I'm fine with that, the less work, the
> better it is for us.
>
> I don't know what you were trying to achieve with this email, but no
> one will say work I or my team do is "bullshit'.

Adnan, the only point I'm trying to make here, and I hope you see my
words as more understanding to the effort you are making, is that when
we don't act decently coordinated... We fail. So, it could be easy for
us to have a great and fun conference in Bosnia which carries the
"DebConf" brand but is not really DebConf - We just have to step
aside. But we want to keep it DebConf. And we want next and future
years' DebConfs at a comparable level. so, yes, maybe you can see us
as mediocre by not wanting a shining super-conf for 1500
attendees. But really, we are organizing what we know and what we can
repeat elsewhere.

Of course we want DC11 to shine. But we don't want it to shine in a
way different from our line of work. As it has been said, "that's not
the Debian way". We have to work together.

Please, both ends of this tension: Help us fix this before it ruptures
further.