Re: [Debconf-discuss] Travelling from Montréal to NY f or DebCamp10, July?26th

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 05:43:39PM -0400, micah anderson wrote:
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 17:08:26 +0200, Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk> wrote:
On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 09:33:58AM -0400, Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:

>The various bus options will be significantly cheaper but also take >longer due to traffic, and much more spartan / less comfortable. >MegaBus and BoltBus both have free wifi, and BoltBus also has power >outlets.

I travelled with a WiFi+power bus from Boston to NY last spring, and it was so unreliable that it was useless: It worked less than a minute, then we had to complain to the bus driver, who rebooted the WiFi router, and then it worked for a minute more... After 10 rounds of complaints we gave up.

I've done multiple trips in the last few months, both directions and not experience something as bad as you did. There almost always is a few dead-spots along the route (it is cellular data), but nothing I couldn't handle. Maybe someone on your bus was running torrents while streaming hulu and ruining it for everyone.

I am pretty sure I did not use BoltBus. And I am quite certain it was not just a dead spot or a lame passenger: the bus driver was in no way surprised that it failed contantly.

I would still choose bus over train next time, however - just wanted to warn that internet connection might not be reliable :-)

...and if you found it reliable then please do share with us which company you used.

 - Jonas

P.S.

No need to cc me - I am subscribed