Re: [Debconf-discuss] Travelling from Montréal to NY f or DebCamp10, July 26th

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 01:53:18PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Luca Capello writes ("[Debconf-discuss] Travelling from Montréal to NY f or DebCamp10, July 26th"):
> > I do not have any specific plan yet and I am considering any travelling
> > option (car, bus, train, flight).  Thus, if someone is interested and
> > would like to share the journey, feel free to contact me!
>
> I'm afraid I won't be at Debconf, but:
>
> I can recommend the Acela train from New York to Boston.  It's not
> quite what a European would expect from a high speed train, but it's
> well-appointed and comfortable.  It was reasonably fast and punctual
> and a lot more pleasant and less hassle than flying would have been.
> I travelled first class for a reasonable fare.  Book early for cheaper
> tickets.

Further information which someone may want to adapt into a chunk of the
DebConf10 travel coordination wiki area:

The "Acela Express" is the fancier, slightly faster train (by maybe 30-60
minutes). The "Regional" train is the more affordable train, though still not
as cheap as the bus options. Ian was presumably referring to the Acela Express,
on which the two classes are called business class and first class. On the
Regional trains, they have coach and business class. I usually travel Regional
coach and it was perfectly fine, though the Acela certainly has a higher-class
atmosphere.

All of these options have sufficiently comfortable seats, reasonable bathrooms,
a cafe car, and power outlets. I believe Amtrak is deploying free wifi,
starting with the Acela trains, but I am not sure of the timeline or whether it
will remain free. I second what Ian said about booking in advance; you can book
as early as 11 months in advance, though I usually get sufficiently cheap fares
by booking 4-8 weeks in advance. http://www.amtrak.com/ - quite a well-done
site. Do allow time for delays, as they can occur, especially if the train to
Boston comes from Washington instead of originating in New York.

The various bus options will be significantly cheaper but also take longer due
to traffic, and much more spartan / less comfortable. MegaBus and BoltBus both
have free wifi, and BoltBus also has power outlets. Fung Wah and Lucky Star are
common among Chinese-Americans (since they go between Chinatowns) and among
students who care more about price than anything else. Flying to Boston from
NYC probably makes no sense for anyone other than wealthy people who are ok
with a daily commute to work of several hundred miles.

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy@debian.org