Re: [Debconf-discuss] Travelling from Montréal to NY f or DebCamp10, July?26th

Hi Jonas,

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 05:08:26PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> I travelled with a WiFi+power bus from Boston to NY last spring, and it
> was so unreliable that it was useless: It worked less than a minute,
> then we had to complain to the bus driver, who rebooted the WiFi router,
> and then it worked for a minute more...  After 10 rounds of complaints
> we gave up.

Yes, that is one known problem with the wifi on the bus, though I was able to
get some useful browsing in on MegaBus from Boston to NY the one time I tried.
I have no idea how reliable Amtrak's wifi is where they do offer it, but
overall I'm guessing it's more reliable since the whole operation is less
minimal. When comparing Ian's views with mine and mine with Micah's, you can
see a range of price vs comfort tradeoffs, and hopefully you can translate to
your own preferences. (In my case there's the additional factor of getting a
bit motionsick on long-distance buses but not on long-distance buses,
especially when reading or staring at a computer screen for extended periods.)

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy@debian.org