Re: [Debconf-discuss] [Debconf-team] Travel sponsorship BoF: minutes

Ana Guerrero writes ("Re: [Debconf-discuss] [Debconf-team] Travel sponsorship BoF: minutes"):
> And we still have to pay a lot of DebConf10 costs, leaving us probably with
> less than half that amount. (<50000)

Ah.  Unfortunately this shows the weakness of cash-based rather than
commitment accounting.  But, in December 2009 we had $70,000ish.  Does
that also include Debconf money ?

Or are we already subsidising Debconf from general Debian funds ?  If
so then that's odd because that's a simple extension of what I'm
suggesting but surely if we were then we wouldn't need such accurate
budgets ?

> The problem is more complex than "getting cheap tickets", I do not have time
> to elaborate too much, so let me abuse of putting some ideas using bullet
> points and bad English :)

Right...

> In every debconf, the first goal has been being able to pay food and
> lodging, and they if there is enought money, then give travel
> sponsorship.

Well yes, but how have we done in the past for travel sponsorship ?  I
mean, have we had in general money to pay for it ?  If so then we can
guess how much money we think we might get.

> We need to:
>
> - determine a very clear guideline about the process:
>   - *who* can ask money,
>   - *why* you can ask money
>   - *how* much money you can ask (*).

I quite agree with this.  But:

> - determine how split the money between all the people who ask and who we
>   reject.

This presupposes that we must know how much total money we will get
and split it up amongst the available bidders.  But that's not
compatible with spending our money wisely because we only know that
total very late.

There are various ways to decide how much money you can ask but one
way would be to ask bidders for sponsorship to estimate the likely
maximum cost of their travel.  Eg
  We have approved your sponsorship application with a 50% co-pay.
  You estimated that your total fares would be no more than Eur300,
  which we think is reasonable for your journey from Warsaw to London
  and and back.  Therefore on presentation of your receipts at Debconf
  we will be willing to refund you 50% of your actual fares paid, up
  to a maximum sponsorship of Eur150 (corresponding to Eur300 fares).
  Please see our attached policy on class of travel etc.

The key thing is that we need to give sponsored attendees a clear
promise of how much they can spend, well in advance, so that they can
organise the best deals themselves.

Ian.