Re: [Debconf-discuss] Last call for keys for keysigning in New York City, USA during DebConf10

On Tuesday 20 July 2010 14:04:44, micah anderson wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 11:22:04 -0400, Chris Knadle <chris-debian@coredump.us>
wrote:
> > And concerning automated key refreshing, the suggestion from the OpenPGP
> > Best
> >
> > Practices of using the following cronjob has a snag:
> >    0 1 * * * /usr/bin/gpg --refresh-keys > /dev/null 2>&1
> >
> > ... which is that your machine has to be on at 1am for this to run.  I've
> > been trying to find a script that will locally email errors and changes
> > to keys via an anacron job.
>
> Yeah, I set that time because my computer tends to be on at that
> time. You should pick a more appropriate time for you. I'd be interested
> in adding to that page some anacron bits, if you come up with something.
>
> micah

Cool.  If I come up with something that works I'll email it to you so others
can use it too.

The other thing that would be good for that page is some explanation about
expiration dates being changeable to a date in the future, that it can be done
even after the key expires, and the procedure for setting a new date.  I think
that will help remove some of the disincentives for those concerned about
having an expiration on their key.

I like the idea of having an expiration for my key "just in case", like for
instance if *I* expire.  However I want to know what the procedure is for
resetting the expiration date on my key ahead of time, if it's not trivial.

  -- Chris