[Debconf-discuss] Re: [Debconf-team] visa-invitation letter: we need help

On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 11:36:39AM +0000, Moray Allan wrote:
>On the one hand, the sponsorship letter is not in fact that important a
>part of the visa application: the UK immigration authorities are not
>really concerned to know why someone wants to come to the UK,

They are also particularly concerned if the person in question
has the financial means to support himself/herself during the
time in the country. I've been asked that question many times
and I know people who have been asked the same question by
US and Australian immigration officers.

>but to have proof that they want to go away again afterwards.
>Including information about a job/family/etc. that requires the
>person to go home after DebConf is more important than the contents
>of any letter from us.  On the other hand, visa paperwork is a
>serious matter: if we make a mistake, people will be denied visas,
>and not just for DebConf: a UK visa refusal in the past generally
>makes it much more difficult to get a UK visa in the future.

A visa refusal of _any_ country will make it very difficult to get
a US or Australian visa as well.

Aníbal Monsalve Salazar
--
http://v7w.com/anibal