Re: [Debconf-discuss] the best date to arrive

Thaddeus H. Black dijo [Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 04:21:04AM +0000]:
> Three questions, please.
>
> 1.  If the airline will land me at MEX at 21:25 local
> time either evening, should I come 13 May or 14 May?

I suggest you to come on the 13th, as Debconf officially starts early
on the 14th.

> 2.  Must I arrange my own hotel in Mexico City the first
> evening?  That is, if I land at MEX at 21:25, will it
> then be too late at night to continue to Oaxtepec?

It will be really borderline. The last bus from the Mexico South bus
station (Tasqueña) leaves for Oaxtepec at 23:00; if it takes you 45
minutes to cross the airport and 30 minutes to go by taxi from there
to Tasqueña, you will be able to reach the last bus. A taxi from the
airport to Tasqueña will be MX$172.

Now, what happens if you don't get this last bus? First of all, you
can spend the night in a very decent and reasonably cheap hotel less
than 1km away from Tasqueña, Hotel Montreal [1] (single rooms at
MX$290, according to the site).

Alternatively, there are buses running until 12AM (IIRC) to
Cuernavaca. Call us by phone (we will provide our official contact
phone number later on), and somebody will go pick you up.

> 3.  Given an answer to the first two questions, is there
> any reason I should not book flights and pay fares now?

Book it. Now.

> I have neither ever attended Debconf nor flown to
> Mexico, so do not hesitate to elaborate.  Thanks.

I am certain this will well be worth it :)

BTW: I'm adding this information to the wiki [2] and updating the
English translation [3].

Greetings

[1] http://www.fitness.com.mx/step/hospeda_001.htm

[2] http://wiki.debian.org/DebConf6BestWayFromAirport