Re: debconf5 - videos of the talks and BOFs available

Herman Robak wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-07-24 at 19:54 +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > I am working on creating DVDs from the videos.  These will be standard
> > video discs that should work in any player.  Once I have a known good
> > build process I'll put the necessary control files up for download so
> > other people can make their own discs and improve them.
>
>  Does this process involve recoding, or can vanilla DVD players
> handle the non-constrained¹ MPEG1 streams that we have published?

I originally hoped to be able to use the MPEG1 streams unaltered, so
that the DVD could be distributed as a jigdo, but I have now resorted
to using mencoder to recode into MPEG2 and scale to full size at the
same time.  I wonder whether I should actually stick with MPEG1 output
due to the low bit rate, though.

> We still have most of the raw material, and John has the rest in
> high quality full resolution XviD.  Recoding from that would yield
> more pleasant results.

Yes - though they would also be much larger.  I'm getting everything
onto two single-layer or one dual-layer disc by recoding to roughly
the same bit rate as the source files from dc5video.

> The DVD encoding framework might become the template for future
> Debconfs.  If the workflow is smooth enough, DVDs could be burned
> by the end of each Debconf.

That might be doable.  Splitting across multiple discs could be
troublesome though.  Currently I'm doing menu layout manually as
well, though rendering and multiplexing of the menus is automated.

> ¹AFAIK, the DVD spec is quite specific on bitrates, resolutions
> and GOP sizes.  384x288 is a "cheat" resolution to get square
> pixels; 352x288 is the proper one.

I'm scaling to 720x576 (or to 720x480 for NTSC, but I haven't tested
that or worked out how to adjust the menus correspondingly).

> And a 48 frames GOP is way beyond the 12-15 of VCD and DVD.

Assuming that the GOP length is the same as what mencoder calls
"keyframe interval", it claims the maximum is 132, so that's what I
selected when recording.  Which would explain why seeking doesn't work
very well on my test discs...  So I'll fix that.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Unix is many things to many people,