happy departues and a small section of my dissertation on hacker cons

Dear Debconfers,

I hope everyone had an excellent time soaking in the Finnish
everlasting sun as well as soaking up the sauna heat. I am very
disappointed I could not make it this year but I look forward to next
year's event.

I am in the midst of putting the final touches of a dissertation that
is partially based on Debian. I will soon make it available on my
website and announce it on some of the Debian mailing lists. In the
mean time, I offer a small snippet of my dissertation (I think 5.1%,
if I did my math correctly), where I discuss the cultural importance
of the hacker conference.

http://healthhacker.org/biella/coleman-hacker-con.pdf

If you need another format, one will be available soon. Open Office
has pulled some unexpected stunts on me (page number's won't show) so
I am not going to put a .doc or .rtf until I get the pagination sorted
out.

Much of my material derives from Debconf4 and 2, and I also took some
pictures from other Debconfs. For my account, I also drew from other,
non-Debian con experiences. This section derives from a chapter where
I provide a "typical" life history of a F/OSS developer. It is 70
pages in length so I cover lots of ground, yet still, much is missing.
:-)

Given the end of Debconf5, I thought some of you may enjoy the
retrospective--that is, if you are willing to read through 23 pages. I
wrote this section with less academic jargon than the rest of the
dissertation but of course there is still some there. This section
would also ring more clearly if one had read the chapters that precede
it, but I hope it still stands on its own.

I hope everyone had a great time and I would, of course, welcome any
feedback. All dissertations, are, after all, in beta..

All the best,
Biella Coleman