Re: Help! Helsinki center to HUT by bike?

On Sat, Jul 09, 2005 at 12:22:56PM +0000, W. Borgert wrote:
> I will stay in a hotel in the center and like to go by bicycle
> to HUT every morning.  Any hints, what road I should take or
> which route I should avoid?  Many thanks in advance!

That might be a quite a feat for the first time. Pick up
a map called "Ulkoilukartta" or "Pyöräilykartta" for Helsinki area,
they include all the major bicycle routes in the area.

Personally I would go "city center -> lauttasaari -> keilalahti
-> otaniemi" for simplicity. "city center -> lauttasaari -> kaskisaari
-> lehtisaari -> otaniemi" Offers less traffic and a better scenery,
but for getting lost is real possibility :)

> Note: I'm not a sporty person, I use the bike as a cheap and
> convenient means of transportation.

Are you aware of the length of the trip? reittiopas.fi advanced search
estimates biking distance from city center to be 9km and takes 30min.

If you still choose bike, just prepare clothes according to
weather (light, if you believe the current forecasts), and
remember to drink enough (but not too much) water. And not to exhaust
yourself too early :)