Re: Discussing problems at DebConf

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005, Branden Robinson / Debian Project Leader wrote:

I think it would just have created a lot of acrimony.  The short-term
problems are resolved (or so I'm told), and I have sent messages regarding
delegation to three teams: Security, FTP Master, and System Administration.
Thanks.

I wouldn't at all mind having a session like this, perhaps in addition to a
"DPL grievance" BOF in one of the free slots.  I.e., "bring your grievances
to the DPL".  I'm ready to sit in front of the assembled developers and
hear their gripes.
Well, I think grievance is not the right word here (if my dictionary does
not trick me).  We can not put problems which are inherent in the system
of the organisation onto the shoulders of one person.  I just expect that
this one person tries to find out the inherent problems and we try to find
a solution together.  I trust your words that you are keen on doing this
and it is perfectly all right if real life issues as you mentioned in your
report are in the was.  (The only thing I might critizise is here: If we
*have* a team some other member should step in and take over a job you are
not able to do.)

I've toyed with the idea of volunteering to do this for that empty first
slot on the schedule, but part of me says we might set kind of an odd tone
for the conference that way.

At the same time I don't want to create the impression that I'm trying to
avoid our problems.  I'd rather meet them head-on.

So, I'm torn.  What do you guys think?
IMHO in the middle of the conference might be a good time.  This leaves
room for "discussions over a beer" on one side and doing something on
the other side.

Kind regards and thanks for stepping in

       Andreas.

--