Re: Mosquitos in Finland during summer -yes, there are a few!

On Mon, Jul 04, 2005 at 11:02:26PM +0300, Jaakko Niemi wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Jul 2005, Herman Robak wrote:
> >  Now that I am here, I can confirm that there ARE quite a few large
> > mosquitoes here.  Otaniemi is at the outer fringe of Helsinki, with
> > lots of woods, grass and water.
>  Oh, blah, there's like one per couple dozen cubic meters of air..
>  Up north soon, you would not even be able to see in front of you
>  due the amount of hovering protein in the air..

I am myself still 400 kilometers away from Helsinki (to the north) and I can
hardly wait to get to the coast since this is the worst time of the year
here when it comes to horse flies. Only a few minutes in the outside in the
Sun and I'm surrounded by at least one. And they are not as easy as
mosquitoes since these do not only inject something needlelike in to the
skin to get to the blood but the horse flies actually bite. I have been
wiping blood today from my hands because I were not fast enough to hit them.
It is a good thing those creatures live mostly around farms and not in the
cities.

http://www.oulu.fi/northnature/finnish/suomipuistokuvat%20/paarmat.gif

(Upper row, if you see one of those, it's a good idea to hit it. And no,
they do not kill more people than the killer rabbits do.)

--
Tmi Juha-Matti Tapio    Puh/Tel. +358-50-5419230
Y-tunnus 1911527-0      Fax      +358-9-34756631