Re: don't bring your APs to HEL

On Wed, 2005-06-29 at 15:01 +0300, Matti Pöllä wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 12:29:57PM +0100, Wookey wrote:
> >
> > If I need to buy an 802.11g card before I come then knowing that ASAP would
> > be good (and which ones work painlessly).
>
> Ralink RT2500 chipset based cards work quite nice. The driver is GPL
> licensed.
>
> http://ralink.rapla.net/
> http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

it's not that easy - I have one and it only works randomly as soon as I
use wpa, and i didn't find out until now, how i can influence it... as I
said, it will at least consume some time to get it going, and it's
probably not only compiling a kernel module and just run it.

I also have a d-link dwl-g650 which is supposed to work for some people,
while in combination with my notebook it stops doing anything after 10
minutes of use - I'll bring that with me, maybe it works for someone
else... I am hassling around with that wireless thing since half a year
now - it's a shame.

Werner Schweer from xtops in Germany once wrote me as a reply for a cry
for help, that he sells those:

EDIMAX 54Mbit USB 2.0 Wlan Stick        49,80 Euro
EDIMAX EW-7108PCg CardBus               45,80 Euro

I suppose when he tells me they are "really" working, this includes wpa
- don't know if he's interested in sponsoring some of those for the
event, it's a small business, I could ask him, if that would help, but
he sure won't be able to give 256.

Henning