Re: [Debconf-team] Q for Cape Town bid: attendees safety outside the venue

On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 09:26:08AM -0600, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> Moray Allan dijo [Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 05:34:40PM +0100]:
> > Still, we haven't completely avoided problems; I remember a few
> > people having bad experiences in Managua, for example, mostly when
> > they were obviously carrying expensive phones or laptops as is
> > rather normal for DebConf attendees (whatever advice we give).
>
> FWIW, I have been robbed twice in my life: Once in Mexico City, in
> 1997 (of course, given I've been here ~95% of my life, this
> probability is high), and once in Paris, en route to Bosnia (and being
> on the same metro with Ben and Nattie... And, of course, failing to
> pay attention to the boring announcements in five languages to stay
> aware because pickpocketers are quick...

Pickpocketing is not the problem. You'll find that in every big city.
The main concern for people is being mugged with some degree of violence.
While you can also get mugged everywhere, the violence rates in
some places scare people and it's perfectly understandable.

Some people told me they didn't have any problem in Managua at all,
but they left the venue early every day to the hotel and then they
barely went out during the night. For some, this kills a lot of
the debconf fun.