Re: [Debconf-team] Q for Cape Town bid: attendees safety outside the venue

Jonathan Carter <jonathan@ubuntu.com> writes:

> On 19/12/2014 10:15, Stefano Rivera wrote:
>> We wouldn't need to do that.
>>
>> We just need to remind people to be aware that they are in a country
>> with a lot of crime. They'll almost certainly be fine, anywhere in the
>> city.
>
> It's pretty much the same as walking around in any big city. If you're
> going to walk around with a big camera around your neck and a wallet
> half-way hanging out of your pocket and you don't pay attention, you
> make yourself a target to get pick pocketed. This is just as much true
> in London, Paris, New York, Montréal and pretty much every other big
> city in the western world.

Can someone who was in Managua (Jonathan?) compare the security
situation with Managua? I found everyone I talked to in Managua friendly
and helpful, but there was a great deal of warnings about walking alone
around campus that made me a bit nervous.

David