Re: Venues

Hi all

I contacted Jo Venter at Stias and will forward her response now.
Stias as a venue is growing on me, and I also think August/September can work - it is said that winter is Cape Town's best kept secret, and Nattie had some good points about the flight prices! Will give uni term info in the timing thread.

I don't mind going on a site visit. My one concern is that I will be seeing things without much of a clue, having never attended a debconf before.
May I ask that we get a quick overview of the teammates, who's in the country, where they are and what they can do time wise? I don't want to take charge if it is not welcome! :) Alternatively, give the OK and list site requirements for me please.
I was thinking we could rig up screens at the Neelsie at Stellenbosch, if they're not there already, and simulcast the talks, then people can hack where they want to and still keep an eye on proceedings.

Another venue I have briefly looked at in the self-contained summercamp vibe is the Crysalis Academy, but they seem too small - http://chrysalisacademy.org.za/hiring-our-facilities/

cheers

On Sun, Aug 31, 2014 at 10:55 PM, Stefano Rivera <stefanor@debian.org> wrote:
Hi Bernelle (2014.08.31_10:29:40_+0200)
> What is the pro's and cons of a self-contained "summer camp for geeks" vs "How
> easy/convenient is the proposed place to get all strange and regular kinds
> of hardware?" (from the LocationChecklist
> <https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/LocationCheckList>)

Pros:
* Everyone stays on the venue, so the event is more productive for
  collaboration. People are more likely to connect with people they
  wouldn't otherwise, rather than drifting out into town with groups of
  existing friends.
* Security
* We don't need shuttles or anything like that.
* Locals will be less likely to stay at home, and rather stay in the
  conference accommodation.

Cons:
* People experience less of the city.
* (semi-)organised trips into the city may be necessary for people who
  need hardware, etc.
* There's less diversity of food (and beer), for attendees.
* People who don't stay in the venue will be far more disconnected.

I wouldn't worry too much about the strange kinds of hardware point. If
we are within driving distance of the city, strange hardware needs are
solvable. (Unfortunately, our e-shops probably don't have quick enough
delivery to be useful to debconf attendees).

SR

--
Stefano Rivera
  http://tumbleweed.org.za/