Re: Can Bluray Players see ISO9660 Filesystems?

Glad to see a heart beat on this mailing list!  After sending, thought this
mailing list was completely  inactive!

> On Sun, Feb 02, 2020 at 10:45:49PM +0100, Thomas Schmitt wrote:

>Roger wrote:
>> Can bluray players view ISO9660 filesystems?

>Option -udf will give it a UDF superblock and directory tree. Most
>system will prefer this over the ISO 9660 superblock and tree.

Specifically focused on 3rd party TV related bluray players (eg. Sony, LG,
Samsung, ...)

I noticed the "-udf" option for mkisofs (and applicable for growisofs) creating
a bridged or hybrid type filesystem.  (mkisofs notes, wastes space ... when
using "-udf" option, look like minimal space though.) So this should create a
readable BD-R media for TV bluray players, but not necessarily playable due to
a missing directory structure/file?

My best guess is recent TV bluray players should likely have no problem reading
any UDF filesystem disc, although I would be more satisified to see most recent
players able to read an ISO9660 disc.

I would expect recent TV players should read both filesystems, as people do
tend to backup photos, video and audio to DVDR/BDR media; and likely not going
to waste time with editing structure files.  They just need some form of
shareable media, but think the usb flash media has locked-up the market on this
for now except for being reliable/stable media.

>> Suggestions feedback for creating/backing-up photos/video to BDR with TV
>> Bluray player hardware support?
>
>Wikipedia says you need UDF 2.50 or higher and you have to provide a
>particular directory structure:
>  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray#Data_format_standards
>I am not aware of a program which would produce this on Linux or BSD.
>Some people use Wine and old versions of MS-Windows Blu-ray authoring
>programs.
>
>Try (by a BD-RE medium to avoid waste) whether your target player can
>access files in the UDF version of growisofs/mkisofs or in ISO 9660.

Yup, after two days, finally found my boxed-up DVD+RW & BD-RE media.

Making this a little more difficult, the Linux pktcdvd driver is slated as
deprecated/removal, albeit oddly since 2016 and still is within the kernel.

Hopefully I don't have to waste money on a TV bluray player for checking on
this filesystem readability issue.  Another option for testing is if there were
TV bluray player firmware booting via emulation software.

--
Roger
http://rogerx.sdf.org/