Re: USB Port speeds

Hi,

> When I burn a BD-RE at 2x speed it takes forever and
> forever with a throughput speed of 2224 KB/s!!

This is most probably a consequence of Defect Management.
The drive writes a buffer full to BD-RE and then checkreads that amount.
If it does not like the quality, then it writes the buffer again.
In case of persisting quality problems, the unwilling pieces of 64 kB
get replaced by blocks from the Spare Area.

2200 kB/s is about 0.5x BD speed. So your drive is not overly happy
with its own write quality. 1.0x = 4.5 MB/s would be normal with
2x nominal speed and good write reults.

Said this, i believe that Defect Management causes more trouble
than it prevents.

K3B ususally uses growisofs for DVD writing, which offers no
means to disable Defect Management on media which are capable
of it. (DVD-RAM does it too.)

> Any thoughts or suggestions as to how to get the performance to be at least
> as good as the DVD on the BD-RE medium?

You could ask K3B to use xorriso or cdrskin instead of growisofs.
Both have options to disable Defect Management:
  cdrskin ... stream_recording=off ...
  xorriso -as cdrecord ... -stream_recording=off ...

I do not expect this to happen, though.

A better chance for faster writing is to format your BD-RE with
no Spare Area. My drives then leave out checkreading at all.
Since you probably have growisofs installed, try:

  dvd+rw-format -spare=none /dev/sr0

and then use the BD-RE normally with K3B.

Of course you should verify the write success by own means,
when the burn run is done.