Re: USB Port speeds

Hello Thomas, and thank you for your response and consideration. The format option of -spare=none did help to at least double the performance as you thought. I was able add the parameter to the command in K3B settings as well. However, I was not able to modify any of the selected programs for operation. I did an apt-get for xorriso and cdrskin OK. But the search button in K3B would not offer any other choices than what was provided.

So the performance doubled as you expected but still nowhere near what the DVD performance was able to get. (4500 KB/s vs. 14000 KB/s) The device buffer filled at the beginning and then stayed less than 50% for the rest and it is only a 4 MByte buffer. So my question still remains as to what difference does the media make in the data transfer through the USB port? Unless the drive itself is blocking it.

Would I still have the same problem if directly attached to a SATA port? It sounds like I would.

I also have 6x BD-R media but since they are not erasable I prefer not to just waste them on silly tests to determine what performance I can get. But they are also just the super cheap media. Both are just generic type media.

At this point I am not sure as to what is the best direction, look for another drive or different media. Any thoughts from your past performance / experiences?

Would drive firmware update help this issue (if available)?

Thanks,
James