Re: Q: state of the art in burning a BD

Thomas Schmitt wrote:
Hi,

since Christmas I have a blu-ray writer.
Congrats.

What is the state-of-the-art in generating a BD
especially when it comes to generating files of size greater than 4 Gb?
P.S.  Nero-linux writes an UDF system which can be mounted by Linux.
mkisofs says it has only UDF support in alpha state.
There are content format specifications for Blu-ray entertainment (video)
disks. But elsewise you are free to store on them any filesystem or
archive format that you deem suitable. As with CD or DVD.

I myself use ISO 9660 (level 3) with Rock Ridge extensions via my program
xorriso. Currently it can create images with files of up to 400 GB.
This limit is artificial, though. The only hard limit is 8 TB overall
image size (32 bit block address, block size 2048 = 2 exp 11).

With BD-RE you may create read-write filesystems and run them like
giant floppies resp. slow USB sticks.
This media type resembles much DVD-RAM or formatted CD-RW. All UDF
examples which mention these media and state should apply to BD-RE too.
Examples for DVD+RW or formatted DVD-RW should work too.
On my GNU/Linux system i have
   /usr/src/linux/Documentation/filesystems/udf.txt

BD-R media media resemble DVD+R (and somewhat CD-R).
You will need a burn program for writing them, and a formatter program to
produce the image that shall be written.

I prefer to use BD-RE this way, too. Throughput is much better. Especially
if one disables automatic checkreading.

I can see disabling checkreading if you don't care if you can't read what you wrote, such as video, where a bit or two or even on 32k sector isn't going to spoil the use. But in general I write a boatload of data on the media to preserve it, and would happily trade double the time for more reliable operation. For critical operation an additional software protection program like dvdisaster would be useful as well, there are something you really don't want to lose.

Just my thinking on picking the right speed and size vs. reliability point.

--
E. Robert Bogusta
  It seemed like a good idea at the time