Re: how to rescue this backup data

Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@realss.com> wrote:

> on a practical level, is there a suggestion what we could do /now/ to
> recover the website? That would indeed be very helpful.

The problem with a lot of backup methods is that it is WORN (write once, read
never) until you need it.

People should always test their meckup method before there is a need for it.

> If you need the information whether or not we used mkisofs in order to
> provide any suggestion on recovering data, the answer is very likely
> "no" because all computers here run debian and the previous employees
> working here (who does the backup), most of them just use whatever
> debian offers as part of the default installation that contains gnome.

I recommend you to start with installing recent original software from

ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/

and then to run "isoinfo -i devname -d" in order to check thether the
medium contains a ISO-9660 filesystem at all.

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)