Re: cdrkit 1.1.10 fails to locate libcap

Hi Joerg,

On Sat, 2010-01-02 at 23:55 +0100, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> Mark Rosenstand <rosenstand@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just found the 1.1.10 update on ftp.debian.org by accident as I'm
> > tracking cdrkit.org/releases/ - would be nice if releases were made
> > available through the upstream site as well (or the old releases removed
> > and a message telling to use ftp.debian.org)
>
> Cdrkit is undistributable as it is in conflict with the GPL and the Copyright
> law. Cdrkit is unmaintained since May 6th 2007, so why do you ask for cdrkit?

The 1.1.10 source package on ftp.debian.org is dated just over a month
ago, but yeah, it's unfortunate that it hasn't hit the upstream download
area yet. Latest stable release of cdrtools seems to be from 2004
though.

> I recommend you to use the original software from
> ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/

I've been using cdrecord for years before cdrkit appeared, but with
cdrkit being what most Linux distros package these days, I just go with
the flow, as it means less work/headscratching for me in the long run.

I'm maintaining all packages myself, so the totally non-standard build
system in cdrtools is a big minus, especially since pretty much all the
default paths, permissions, and even ownership are different from what's
casual on Linux systems today. When you have over 1400 source packages
to maintain, automation is key. (Sorry, I don't use any of your other
software, so I can't justify the time it will take to automate it.)

> There are no known problems with the original software and the original software
> includes many new features that are missing from the illegal fork.

This is a valid point and if GPL'ed software fails, I will likely give
it a shot. I were turned off a bit with the whole cdrecord-ProDVD thing
and then the CDDL issues, but at least the former seems no longer an
issue, and e.g. BluRay writing is indeed a nice feature.

Cheers,
Mark