Re: Announcing mkisofs 1.13

Robert Millan <rmh@aybabtu.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 08, 2010 at 05:30:09PM +0100, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> >
> > You also do not mention that the even outdated version of mkisofs you are using
> > contains code from me.
>
> This is true (at least for files prototyp.h, fctldefs.h, statdefs.h and
> mconfig.h where your name appears).  It's not my intention at all to
> neglect your contribution, it just happens that I didn't have all the
> information.
>
> If you're so kind to provide a short summary of your improvements in that
> version, I'll be glad to add your name in AUTHORS file and give proper
> recognition.

What is the reason for creating a fork from a completely outdated and extremely
buggy historic version of mkisofs?

Please note that I am constantly contributing to the mkisofs project since
Spring 1996 and that the first mkisofs version published by Eric Youngdale
with a contribution from me was mkisofs-1.10b7-no_ac from February 1997.
I remember that my first contribution (in Spring 1996) was the correction of
the timezone offset and that e.g. the option -print-size is from me. As many
years have past since then, I of course cannot name _all_ contributions anymore.

Since Autumn 1999, I am the official primary maintainer and for this reason,
the mkisofs that comes with cdrtools is _no_ fork but the original version.
There was an official mkisofs-1.13 publishec in June 2000 and you obviously
created a clash.

If you really like to take the outdated mkisofs and play with it, I urge
you not to use the name "mkisofs" for this and I urge you to withdraw your
tar archive from the ftp server as long as you use the original name "mkisofs".

Note that your tar archive contains a file "NEWS" that makes incorrect claims:

-	The software you published does not support files >= 4 GB

	The original mkisofs supports files > 4 GB (implemented by me)
	since 3.5 years.

-	The software you published contains an extremely outdated
	Eltorito support.

	The original mkisofs supports nearly all Eltorito featues (implemented
	by me) and this is what people today use to create bootable CDs (e.g.
	for GRUB).

If you believe that the current original mkisofs (see
ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/) is missing important features, please
collaborate with the cdrtools project. The cdrtools project is open for everyone
and this is one of the reasons why cdrtools ports to > 30 different platforms
(not counting different CPUs as different platform).

>From looking at your tar archive, it seems that you may have some skills with
localization (text ranslations) or that you know translators. As the next
development cycle of cdrtools will very soon introduce localized strings for
all commands, I am looking for translators....

So are you interested to contribute and to collaborate?

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)