Re: is my drive defect - request for comments

Joerg Schilling wrote:
"Thomas Schmitt" <scdbackup@gmx.net> wrote:

I wrote

-raw96r does not yield sectors which can be
read by the READ command.

Joerg Schilling wrote:

This claim is of course wrong.

MMC-5 says:
"6.15.3 Command Processing
 The block size for the READ (10) command shall be 2048 bytes.
 If the block size of a requested sector is not 2048, the Drive shall:
 1. Terminate the command with CHECK CONDITION status,
 2. Set sense bytes SK/ASC/ASCQ to ILLEGAL REQUEST/ILLEGAL MODE FOR THIS TRACK,
"

man cdrecord says:
       -raw96r
              Select Set RAW writing mode with 2352 byte sectors plus 96 bytes

No 2048 bytes. No READ (10).
This matches my own observations with write
capacity (is higher) and block device read(2)
(fails with i/o error).

Looks like you need to learn about CD writing basics.....

cdrecord knows how to write any possible sector type in -raw96r mode.

So are you saying that your documentation is wrong and you don't write 2352+96 byte sectors? Or that the standard says drives should not read them with the READ command and if so what does that mean?

If you claim that Thomas is wrong, please explain why.

BTW: writing in -raw96r is a trick to circumvent problems from the
non-cooperative Linux hald (*) and -raw96 should be used with all Lite-ON
drives to circumvent firmware bugs found in all Lite-ON drives.

If you do not know how -raw96r works, then I would guess that your software
does not support to write in this mode.....

*) hald on Linux must be called harmfull software as it interrupts the write
process and makes media unusable. This is because it starts reading from
incompletely written CD.

Again you show that you do not understand how this works, hald may be configured to do things which are not appropriate. To blame the software for the options is like blaming your software because someone chose to use the wrong mode on the command line.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  "Woe unto the statesman who makes war without a reason that will still