Re: is my drive defect - request for comments

Hi,

Bill Davidsen wrote:
> If you claim that Thomas is wrong, please explain why.

It is not impossible that cdrecord knows how to
compose a sector with 2048 payload bytes and
the necessary ornaments by the means of a sector
written as data block type 3 with 2448 bytes.
One would have to try. But i will not impose raw
writing on my loved drives just for curiosity.

Joerg is right that i would need to learn about
that and some other CD specifics ... if it would
be of enough real world importance, and if the
info was publicly available. MMC mentions only
fragments of that.

But back to the thread topic:

I doubt that raw writing is a realistic solution
for weird behavior of a SATA attached drive.
When was the last incident that TAO and SAO did
not work ? 1995 ? 2000 ?

And i still wonder what's wrong with Helmut
Jarausch's drive or media.