Re: cdrecord floating point exception

"Thomas Schmitt" <scdbackup@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Joerg Schilling wrote:
> > If a burner does not like some media, cdrecord usually prints a related SCSI
> > error message. There was no such message in the log send to this list.
>
> Parker Jones wrote:
> > > Track 01:    0 of 4391 MB written.Errno: 5 (Input/output error),
> > > write_g1 scsi sendcmd: no error
> > > CDB:  2A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 1F 00
> > > status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
> > > Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 30 10 00 00
> > > Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
> > > Sense Code: 0x30 Qual 0x10 (medium not formatted) Fru 0x0
>
> Although this is from wodim the report is
> obviously about an SCSI error and i would
> bet it stems from a 1:1 copy of your code.

But this is from the time _before_ cdrecord formatted the medium.

> > I still believe that there is some other problem like e.g. "hald":
>
> hald can make CD/DVD burns fail. But hardly
> DVD+RW. On overwriteables you can freely

hald definitely makes CD writes in SAO Mode fail because it starts
to read from the medium while is is still written to.

hald may still interrupt other actions by issuing unsynchronized
other SCSI commands at the same time when a SCSI command from cdrecord
is running. This is is special true for Linux where more than one
device driver exists at the same time for the same hardware.

For this reason, in any case when the error situation is unclear, it makes
sense to do a test where hald is definitely not running.

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)