Re: cdrecord floating point exception

Hi,

Parker Jones wrote:
> > Track 01:    0 of 4391 MB written.Errno: 5 (Input/output error),
> > write_g1 scsi sendcmd: no error
> > CDB:  2A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 1F 00
> > status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
> > Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 30 10 00 00
> > Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
> > Sense Code: 0x30 Qual 0x10 (medium not formatted) Fru 0x0

Although this is from wodim the report is
obviously about an SCSI error and i would
bet it stems from a 1:1 copy of your code.

> I still believe that there is some other problem like e.g. "hald":

hald can make CD/DVD burns fail. But hardly
DVD+RW. On overwriteables you can freely
mix read and write operations.
I do not believe that hald interrupts background
formatting.
I would also expect from the specs that DVD+R
and BD-R can stand hald interference. Both are
allowed to have more than one logical track open
and you hardly can manage them without intermediate
inquiry commands.

After system startup i kill the processes named
hald-addon-storage. They are the ones on my
SuSE 10.2 which quite reliably spoild CD-RW burns.

I cannot agree to the opinion that a _modern_
Linux system could not live without hald. It is
about the playfulness of the user interface
and the incapacitation of its user.
Nevertheless it is cumbersome to strip a SuSE
Linux from all unnecessary automats. So one
better selectively disables those which are
known to make trouble.