Re: Is ulimit -l unlimited or limit memorylocked unlimited still needed?

shirish wrote:
Hi all,
   I went to the homepage of the dvd+rw-tools homepage.

http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/tools/

It gave me the following warning

"IMPORTANT NOTE for 6.0 users! Newer Linux kernels have ridiculously
low default memorylocked resource limit, which prevents privileged
users from starting growisofs 6.0 with "unable to anonymously mmap
33554432: Resource temporarily unavailable" error message. Next
version will naturally have workaround coded in, but meanwhile you
have to issue following command at command prompt prior starting
growisofs:

    * if you run C-like shell, issue 'limit memorylocked unlimited';
    * if you run Bourne-like shell, issue 'ulimit -l unlimited';

I don't know how it got to trying for 32MB of locked memory, but none of my systems will allow normal users to lock all of memory... I've never seen an error at runtime, so I'm not sure if the warning means much. Note that distributions may have very different defaults in both the boot time setup and the kernel, so unless you are building you own kernel from kernel.org source and running on your own distribution "your mileage may vary."

I run growisofs and have never had a warning at runtime, nor a problem with function. Nor would any of my systems let a normal user lock all of memory, that's a problem waiting to happen.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
 "Woe unto the statesman who makes war without a reason that will still