Re: What options should I have for files bigger than 2G ? (cdrecord and mkisofs)

Hi,

> Different is not the same.
> I don't understand why when I write a large file with cdrecord and
> mkisofs it's md5sum change and when I burn it with nero it stay the
> same.

This does not look like a problem with cdrecord
but rather like one with mkisofs.

> My only conclusion is that on my linux with my hardware nero
> works perfectly when cdrecord don't. I was just tring to understand why,
> but apparently it's not the right place to seek for answer.

I can offer program xorriso as an alternative
to mkisofs as long as it is for ISO 9660 data file
recording.

Afaik, there is a standard for auxiliary data files
in an UDF file system which help non-computer video
players to handle the video files. These will not get
generated by xorriso.
But i assume that Mplayer will play a video file
in a mounted ISO filesystem.

xorriso is available as
  http://scdbackup.sourceforge.net/xorriso-0.3.2.pl01.tar.gz
It gets installed with alternative alias name
  xorrisofs
under which will perform a sparse mkisofs emulation.
I expect xorrisofs to be suitable for the
  if [ $VIDEO -eq 0 ]
situation in your script. No UDF, no -dvd-video.
Its alias
  xorrecord
will perform sparse cdrecord emulation. But you would
have to replace dev="5,0,0" by dev=/dev/sr1.

As itself, xorriso has its unique qualities. Be invited
to read at least the man page section EXAMPLES.

Vice versa you could test whether Mplayer can
can handle the video if mkisofs writes its result
to a hard disk file. Mount that disk file as filesystem
  mount -t iso9660 -o loop disk_file /mnt
look for your video file underneath /mnt and let Mplayer
play it.