Re: growisofs won't write double layer DVDs

I'm trying to write double layer DVDs on my TS-L632C DVD burner.
It has always handled single layer DVDs fine and this is the first
time I have a problem. What I get is this...

Executing 'mkisofs -dvd-video -V DVD /home/abc/dvd | builtin_dd of=/dev/sr0 obs=32k seek=0'
Setting input-charset to 'UTF-8' from locale.
  0.17% done, estimate finish Thu Jan  1 13:43:04 2009
  0.35% done, estimate finish Thu Jan  1 13:43:04 2009
  0.52% done, estimate finish Thu Jan  1 13:43:04 2009
/dev/sr0: splitting layers at 1437552 blocks
:-[ SEND DVD+R DOUBLE LAYER RECORDING INFORMATION failed with SK=3h/POWER CALIBRATION AREA ERROR]: Input/output error

growisofs still does not write completely readable error messages :-(

This is an opinion. The fact is that whether or not and when power calibration is performed is left to firmware discretion. "Not" refers to fact that firmware might choose pre-defined profile. "And when" on the other hand varies from firmware to firmware, some firmware start the calibration procedure at a WRITE command, others at SEND DVD STRUCTURE with DVD+R DL layer break position. As result power calibration errors get accounted to either of these commands. Christian, as for error interpretation and advice, see Thomas' post.

I recommend you to use cdrecord instead of growisofs. Cdrecord will tell the drive to do laser power calibration

cdrecord does not do that to DVD+ media. A.