Re: Is dvd-r not supported in cdrecord?

Joerg Schilling wrote:
"Thomas Schmitt" <scdbackup@gmx.net> wrote:

what should i do with hald and O_EXCL ?

I assume your successful burns were via
growisofs. Afaik it opens the device file with
option O_EXCL. See man 2 open for usage.
The meaning of O_EXCL on Linux storage device
files is fewly documented:
A further open(O_EXCL|O_RDWR) will fail as
long as there is an open file descriptor with
O_EXCL|O_RDWR.

I did already mention that using O_EXCL is not an
option for libscg and cdrtools as using O_EXCL would
causes other problems that are even less tolerable.

I'm curious, I'll accept that you have tried this and found some really bad behavior, but what is less tolerable than burning a series of coasters? I think growisofs uses O_EXCL and I don't recall any behavior after burning which made me unhappy.

In your experience, what breaks?

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  Unintended results are the well-earned reward for incompetence.