Re: Is dvd-r not supported in cdrecord?

Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com> wrote:

> My assumption, as I posted earlier, is that it is trying to mount media
> of any type it understands. To guess the media type the first sector is
> read. This requires a seek to sector zero and a read, leaving the burner
> at a location which has already been written.
>
> Actually, I just had a thought on how to patch hal not to do this, I'll
> try it sometime this week as I get time.

The problem with hald is that it does something when it needs wo be quiet.

This is a result of using incorrect rules for detecting media insertion.

On Solaris, hald has been patched not to use this buggy algorithm but to
call an ioctl() instead that calls correct code which is living in the kernel
sd driver.

I posted the correct algorithm many times in the net, so it seems that there is
little hope to get a fix.

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)