Re: Is dvd-r not supported in cdrecord?

Hi,

me:
> > I kill on my machine the processes
> > hald-addon-storage
chi kwan:
> I kill mime and gosh=2C it is burning at 8x as dummy!

So the riddle seems to be solved for now.

The following text was written before i learned
about your success. (One should read all mails
before beginning to write a lengthy answer.)

chi kwan:
> dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/cdrom output:
>  Mounted Media:         11h, DVD-R Sequential
>  Disc status:           blank
>  Next Writable Address: 0*2KB

This media appears ready for being written
beginning at block address 0.

> also, for your information, I've been successful in blanking the dvd-rw with
> a blank=fast command, (did'nt dare use =full least permanent damage), I
> don't know if this means anything.

Well, most SCSI commands seem to work well
with drive and media. Only the write command
is not willing to perform.

> so it is not very likely that the system is
> continuously checking the drive and causes problems.

It is not so clear how hald spoils our burns.
It is a known fact, though, that on many systems
CD and DVD-R[W] are prone to various errors if
hald is allowed to operate on the drive,
MMC prescribes that the burn session may not
be disturbed by certain other SCSI commands.
Obviously hald sends some of them or resets
the generic Linux SCSI driver.

> > Doesn't "Current: DVD-ROM" mean this DVD-R has already been written to?
> Sorry, may be I have the wrong output posted,

It would have been quite a blooper if all
your tries were made with a written media.

> Current: DVD-R sequential recording

This looks more like a writable media.
(But same failure symptoms as already reported.)

> > 5 30 10 MEDIUM NOT FORMATTED
> wow, it looks like from some documents for elites, where can i find it? and

Operation of optical media is covered by the MMC
specs:
  http://www.t10.org/ftp/t10/drafts/mmc/mmc5r03c.pdf
some general commands are in SPC and SBC
  http://www.t10.org/ftp/t10/drafts/spc3/spc3r23.pdf
  http://www.t10.org/ftp/t10/drafts/sbc3/sbc3r17.pdf
(The SCSI family applies to all modern burners
regardless of their connection cables and
controllers.)

A compilation of the burn knowledge behind
libburn can be found in:
  http://libburnia-project.org/browser/libburn/trunk/doc/cookbook.txt
It has a lot of pointers into MMC and SPC.
Your media type is covered by
  Sequential DVD-R[W] Cookbook

> and can i fine tune cdrecord so it won't be
> too specific on medias?

Before you begin that endeavor you should try
growisofs or one of my programs based on libburn
(cdrskin, xorriso).

As you can see from the cookbook resp. from MMC
chapter 4, "Models" the media types are quite
variform.
If it turns out that a peculiar gesture of
cdrecord is indeed to blame, then you may use
its option -V to learn about the SCSI commands
issued to the drive. Any obvious deviation from
the specs should be reported to Joerg Schilling.

Nevertheless, cdrecord is not the main suspect
for now.

> what should i do with hald and O_EXCL ?

I assume your successful burns were via
growisofs. Afaik it opens the device file with
option O_EXCL. See man 2 open for usage.
The meaning of O_EXCL on Linux storage device
files is fewly documented:
A further open(O_EXCL|O_RDWR) will fail as
long as there is an open file descriptor with
O_EXCL|O_RDWR.
This is part of a Linux-specific locking
protocol for mount devices. Some versions of
hald seem to participate in this protocol.

Best is to keep hald from accessing the burner
drive while you are burning. I need no auto
mounting. So i kill hald-addon-storage and do
never restart it. (USB unplug-replug starts
it, though.)
But that depends much on the version of hald
you are running. Each system has its own
tricks to curb hald. (It is said to be
configurable.)