Re: solaris cdrecord BH08LS20 drive BD-R problems

Rob W <wrob0123@gmail.com> wrote:

> Note that my blu-ray drive is connected to my system via USB 2.0
> I do not understand why DMA settings may be a problem for cdrecord.
> With cdrecord I can write to DVD (Plextor PX-716UF) over USB 2.0

See below

> Memorex (actually RITEK) is definitely not the highest quality media.
> However, cdrecord -minfo gives the same result with Verbatim discs.

-minfo may give the same results even while you use completely different media.
The media manufacturer and media sub-types are displayed by cdrecord -atip

> Here are the errors I see with the cdrecord -atip command:

In this case (-atip), your problem is not related to the media but to
the USB drivers.

> # cdrecord dev=3,0,0 -atip
>
> Cdrecord-ProDVD-ProBD-Clone 2.01.01a61 (sparc-sun-solaris2.10)
> scsidev: '3,0,0'
> scsibus: 3 target: 0 lun: 0
> Warning: Using USCSI interface.
> Using libscg version 'schily-0.9'.
> Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
> Version        : 0
> Response Format: 2
> Capabilities   :
> Vendor_info    : 'HL-DT-ST'
> Identifikation : 'BD-RE  BH08LS20 '
> Revision       : '1.00'
> Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM.
> Using generic SCSI-3/mmc-3 BD-R driver (mmc_bdr).
> Driver flags   : NO-CD BD MMC-3 BURNFREE
> Supported modes: PACKET SAO LAYER_JUMP
> Disk type:          'BDR' (BD-R)
> Disk class:         01
> Manufacturer:       'RITEK'
> Media type:         'BR2'
> Disk:               is not in cartridge
> Media cartrige:     write protect is off
>   {{{ ... gets_hung_for_long_time ... }}}
> cdrecord: I/O error. read disk info: scsi sendcmd: no error
> CDB:  51 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 04 00
> status: 0x0 (GOOD STATUS)
> resid: 4
> cmd finished after 0.029s timeout 240s
> cdrecord: Cannot get disk type.
> cdrecord: I/O error. prevent/allow medium removal: scsi sendcmd: no error
> CDB:  1E 00 00 00 00 00
> status: 0x0 (GOOD STATUS)
> cmd finished after 0.039s timeout 100s

This is a Solaris USB kernel driver bug that I reported a year ago and that
does not seem to get fixed. It may help to try out a different USB<->ATA/SATA
adaptor.

> The next time I try to use cdrecord, it tells me to power cycle the drive.

It is sufficient to replug the USB cable to "fix" the hang inside the kernel.

> This LG drive (and Memorex media) works using Power2Go on Windows,
> but I need to use the drive to archive data on my solaris sparc machines.
> Please help me to get cdrecord able to read the media correctly,
> and then perhaps get it to write my ISO images to blu-ray discs.

You may try to use the USB adaptor from the Plextor drive ;-)

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)